If you have chosen DIY Knotweed, the "Knotweed DIY Bag" can be used to dispose of any knotweed waste.
Our unique Knotweed DIY Bag is designed for legal DIY disposal of Japanese knotweed material off-site as "controlled waste"*.
*The Environmental Protection Act 1990 states that Japanese knotweed is classed as “controlled waste” and as such, must be removed by licenced organisations and disposed of safely at a licensed landfill site that can accept knotweed according to the Environmental Protection Act (Duty of Care) Regulations 1991.
Dispose of Knotweed Waste in Accordance to the Law
As Japanese knotweed is an invasive species of plant governed by various acts and legislation. It is a legal requirement to dispose of knotweed waste correctly. Failure to do so could land you with a large fine or even imprisonment.
Soils Contaminated with Knotweed Rhizome
Herbicide treatment of Japanese knotweed does not remove the plants' underground stem system (rhizome) from the soils. Following successful herbicide treatments, sections of rhizome may remain in a viable but dormant state, and could re-grow if disturbed.
For this reason, the Environment Agency deem ground containing dead or alive knotweed as 'controlled waste' if removed from site.
Japanese Knotweed Disposal
Once knotweed waste (controlled waste) leaves site or the property, it must be carried by a company with an appropriate Waste Carriers Licence, issued by the Environment Agency (E.A.). The controlled waste must be taken to a landfill site specially licenced by the E.A. to receive and dispose of Japanese knotweed.
Types of Knotweed Bag Available
The bag is 90 x 90cm square and once filled the height is about 90cm and holds approximately 0.7m3 of waste. We have three different bags for you to choose from:
- Knotweed stems (green or brown stems) bag
- Knotweed contaminated soil
- Mixed knotweed waste bag (excluding soils)
How Does It Work?
- Order your Japanese Knotweed DIY bag
- The Japanese knotweed DIY bag is sent to you
- Contact us to collect your filled bag(s)
Knotweed DIY Bag spec:
- Black FIBC
- 4x25cm lifting loops
- Top skirt, plain base
- A4 document pocket
A bag will hold about 0.7m3 (slightly less than 1 tonne in weight)
For reference: 1m3 of consolidated soil weighs approx. 1.7 tonnes and 1m3 of loose (unconsolidated) soil weighs approx. 1.2 tonnes
Do not mound the subsoil as you must be able to place the cover skirt over the soil.
Enquire about the Knotweed Bag Today
- You do not need to be in when we collect
- Collections are usually monthly but may be longer
- Place the filled bag on your property and close to the road (so a grab lorry can lift it). If a dustbin lorry can't fit down your road, our grab lorry won't be able to either!
- You will not be able to move the soil bag when it's full
- You can see the Knotweed Bag Returns and Refund Policy here